Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat is a Palestinian medical doctor who has lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, since 2010. He was targeted by an MI5 infiltrator to attend a bugged meeting with members of Saoradh, an Irish republican socialist political party that advocates for an end to British colonialism and a united Ireland. He was detained on 22 August at Heathrow Airport on the same day that nine members of Saoradh were also arrested by British forces.
Dr. Hijjawi Bassalat has faced increasingly worse health conditions inside Maghaberry Prison. Issam suffers from serious health conditions and is not receiving the treatment he needs; instead, he has suffered from multiple delays that amount to a form of torture, forcing him to suffer in unnecessary pain as his condition worsens. Despite this situation, Issam was repeatedly refused bail. Most recently, his bail application was once again refused on 22 December, 2020 despite overwhelming evidence of both his severe health situation and the effects of imprisonment upon his medical decline. He was finally granted bail in December of 2021 and is expected to go to trial in 2023.
MI5 Infiltration and Dubious Charges
The arrests sprang from the decades-long infiltration of Irish republican movements by MI5 agent Dennis McFadden, detailed in a Channel 4 News report (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxszWn367pY). Issam was entrapped into a meeting with McFadden on false pretenses after he was told by British officials that he had to pick up his daughter’s passport renewal in Belfast instead of Glasgow. There, he was invited to what was presented to him as a Saoradh meeting to discuss international solidarity and the Palestinian cause; he had previously spoken to a Saoradh Ard Fheis (annual meeting) about Palestine, an open, public event.
He is charged with “preparatory acts of terrorism” under the 2006 Terrorism Act, based on his attendance at this meeting engineered by MI5. Issam’s solicitor, Gavin Booth, has seen the transcript of the meeting Issam was compelled to attend, noting that “Everything that’s contained within the transcripts and the recordings is about Palestine, is about peaceful and democratic change. There’s nothing in the transcripts from Dr Bassalat that would support violence in any way.” Despite these facts and the presumption of innocence that is supposed to apply, he has been denied bail on two occasions and is being held on remand.
Targeting Issam’s Bank Account and Medical License
This is not the only form of mistreatment Issam has suffered. His bank account was frozen, denying him access to funds and creating even more inconvenience and trauma for his family — again, all while he ostensibly retains the presumption of innocence. Issam’s licence to practise medicine was suspended by the General Medical Council (GMC) on 26 October 2020 after the charges filed against him, despite the fact that he has been convicted of nothing and that the charges in no way relate to his fitness to practise medicine or his treatment of his patients.
Issam is being targeted as a Palestinian in an attempt to justify the MI5 infiltration of public political parties and to smear both the Palestinian and Irish struggles through entrapment and misrepresentation. As a result, this Palestinian doctor who has given so much to his community in Edinburgh as well as the broader Palestinian community is facing worsening pain and the atrophy of his leg on a daily basis, while the presumption of innocence is being cast aside for political gamesmanship.
Life in Prison
He was taken by the prison administration for an MRI on 15 September before being placed in isolation in a run-down location called Foyle House for 14 days. While this was explained as a COVID-19 preventative measure, this means that he was in isolation for four weeks with only a break of a few days in conditions that did not allow him to walk or exercise, which at that time still provided some relief for his condition. His situation was so severe that he launched a hunger strike to get out of isolation that was supported by 50 Irish republican prisoners.
He was in severe pain for weeks despite taking painkillers and needs crutches to walk, and it is his belief – as a medical doctor – that he will need surgery. Issam has gone so far as to offer to pay for private surgery and is in touch with a neurosurgeon; however, the prison administration has failed to turn over his medical records, further prolonging his agony. As noted by the Scottish Campaign Against Criminalizing Communities, this failure to provide treatment constitutes a potential breach of the prohibition on torture, inhuman or degrading treatment under Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
Video: Channel 4 Report on MI5 Entrapment and Infiltration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxszWn367pY (9 October 2020)
Video Webinar on Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat and the Saoradh 9
https://youtu.be/32gV6HFLx2w (22 September 2020)
Resources on the Case of Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat
- Court rejects new bail application by Issam Bassalat, Scotland Against Criminalising Communities, 22 December 2020
- Maghaberry Prison accused of ‘neglect’ over medical treatment of Palestinian doctor, Scotland Against Criminalizing Communities, 10 November 2020
- Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat faces declining medical condition, delayed treatment in Maghaberry prison, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, 10 November 2020
- MI5’s Irish Charade, Richard Haley, 22 October 2020
- Medical Care for Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat, Scotland Against Criminalizing Communities, 27 October 2020
- Free the Saoradh 9 and Dr Issam Hijjawi, Fight Racism! Fight Imperialism! 22 October 2020
- Naomi Long responds to concerns over treatment of Dr Bassalat, Scotland Against Criminalizing Communities, 2 October 2020
- Solidarity action in The Hague for Dr. Issam Hijjawi Bassalat and the Irish republican hunger strikers, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, 28 September 2020
- Palestinian and Irish prisoners go on hunger strike, Workers World, 25 September 2020
- Issam Hijjawi is on Hunger Strike, Scotland Against Criminalizing Communities, 24 September 2020
- Over 50 Irish republican prisoners on hunger strike with Dr Issam Hijjawi Bassalat, Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network, 24 September 2020
- Free Issam Hijjawi and the Saoradh 9, Video, Glasgow FRFI, 25 September 2020
- Former Derby North MP Chris Williamson’s Twitter thread on the case, 3 September 2020
- Samidoun: Statement of solidarity with Irish republican and Palestinian detainees in British jails, 28 August 2020
- Revealed: British spy’s activities in Northern Ireland, Channel 4 News, 9 October 2020
- Fears for hunger-striking campaigner, TFN 28 September 2020
- Concerns grow for the welfare of a Palestinian activist on hunger strike in a Belfast prison, The Canary, 27 September 2020
- Female prisoners join republican hunger strike, Irish News, 24 September 2020
- Scottish-Palestinian doctor taken to ‘New IRA meeting’ by MI5 and tried on terror charges, Open Democracy, 17 September 2020
- Palestinian doctor refused bail after claim he was caught in ‘dirty squabble’ between MI5 and republicans, Belfast Telegraph, 16 September 2020
- Former MP backs Palestinian Doctor charged in connection with MI5 sting, Irish News, 5 September 2020
- Palestinian doctor claims he was entrapped by MI5 agent, Irish News, 26 August 2020